Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Don't Hang Up, Hang Out!

Today I want to talk about hang-ups. OK, so that could be hanging up the phone or hanging up on people. It all amounts to the same thing really when you think about it. Hang-up's happen so often it's easy to loose track of them and forget you are actually doing it. I have had occasion to witness one or two hang up's of my own over the years and I have witnessed others doing it too. Of course we all have witnessed others recognising our hang ups or close friend/acquaintances as it is usually something we can discuss at great length out of boredom or the need to feel superior or secure somehow. Or maybe just relieved. It's fair to say most do it to feel relieved. I know that is why I talk of the hang ups of others anyway. Mine I usually defend to the death as others do too, at a guess.

So anyway, what kind of hang ups could a person have eh? Well pretty much anything within the conventions and scope of everyday life. Some people have hang ups over PS3 and Xboxes, some have hang ups over girlfriends/boyfriends or people they can't have no matter how hard they try, some have hang ups about their past, their bad experiences about their home lives and so on. It's written into our character at some point in time. They develop from either the mistakes, good or bad from the choices we make or else those of our peers or family members have made in the past. For others, they result in the narrowing of perspective and the desire to stop expressing of ones self for whatever reason, confidence being the main catalyst. For some it comes from embarrassment or inferiority felt, not necessarily from being oppressed, but from feeling like one will be for trying something different... In other words, pre-judged hang ups about people whether they have said so before or not. Some people just naturally feel like they want to burden or begrudge others for the sake of being taken more seriously. It's all very intricate really. Human psychology is so diverse and we can only take what people say and how they feel at face value. However, if one is lucky enough to have close friends, relatives one gets along with quite well or is so sensitive to heart that one cannot avoid telling the truth, hang-ups can be very easy to spot indeed.

I have had many over the years. Only recently in my life, give or take about 4 years or so, have I decided to tackle them head-on. I cannot understand where some conventions arise from, in general. Now, it could be argued that I have had a questionable youth or perhaps I just a rebellious streak, but in fairness, all that stuff has never really affected me as such. I always try to keep a positive, optimistic approach to understanding as possible. For example, seeing things fall apart around me always inspires me to make them work properly again and almost to a fault, regardless of hang ups. Pre-judgement doesn't work at all any more, just on going question of understanding. And as for a rebellious streak, well that's just silly. Being almost 30 does not allow much time for pricking around with silly clothing and hairstyle or being "against" something simply because others like it. I have learned a long time ago, since admitting to myself when I was 16 that David Bowie was an amazing musician and not just Heavy Metal when to call a spade a spade. But I have to say, being only human means I will continue to have hang ups for the rest of my days. I guess the point I'm trying to get to is, The more you keep your mind open, the less likely you will be to suffer any hang-up's in your life and also the less likely you will become a recluse because you feel like you cannot change anything. Life is change. When you become aware of this, you will change with it and adapt naturally. The wind will always blow at your back, so to speak.

So I wonder then, If conventional life-style is a hang up for me or perhaps something I have not had time in my life to consider seriously. Sometimes, no matter how hard I try I cannot figure out why normal everyday things are so puzzling. I have had to concede that there is in fact one important piece of the puzzle that I am missing in order to answer this, one I don't yet have the intelligence to understand. This has turned any possible hang-up I could possibly have into a scratch card answer. There is a Holy Grail (figuratively speaking of course) This Holy Grail has all the smaller answers written into 1 big simple thing that will make it all make sense. Now, why should a person settle for less than the right answer? That is for each individual to decide. My decision is that I would rather die alone while moving, than settle for less. Hang ups melt away to triviality under the weight of determination and will. Criticism ricochets. It's all about the choice really. Hang ups are a choice. They are fuelled by ignorance to understanding I feel. By allowing an unknown factor into the puzzle, as in by allowing for the fact that I may not have all the answers but someone else may, means that life will never be closed off, conclusive are anything worth getting hung up on. It will just make it that much more interesting. life is symbiotic and socially/mutually beneficial, that's how I feel. I feel that anyone who thinks differently may be forcing it and from the furthest point of solving for their hang-ups. They might just want to hang out a bit more .

Similarly they might not agree with my theory. They might want to hang up now :P

No comments:

Post a Comment