Saturday, April 3, 2010

Good Friday and the Blasphemy Laws of Ireland

I'm going to try and write this without coming off all ranty as I've been doing lately, forgetting that I'm actually not that bothered about the intricacies and diversity or choice of each one of us.

But Good Friday, c'mon

I mean, the main problem I have with it is that I am forced out of doing things I normally do on Friday because of a stupid law. A law that says I cannot drink in a public house on a day I would like to. I mean, there is an excuse with Christmas... people like to catch up with their families on Christmas... at least it represents something modern. Generally human beings want to see their families from time to time anyway, so why not ey? The only things about Christmas I don't like are the marketing and money ends of it. People can believe what they want by choice. But Good Friday is nothing. Nothing good has come from it. All we have are begrudgers drinking more than they should at home because we are told not to by law. A ridiculous archaic law that is born of pure superstition. Are we really so backward that we cannot break this stupid thing at this day and age?

I'm not even Catholic! All I want is a pint! And maybe a nice big juicy steak!!

But there is now the blasphemy law too. Under said law, I cannot speak out about or dismiss your religion for "fear" of being fined for the trouble. Yet your religion can send people calling to my home preaching any time they want. It is a horrible double standard. The main religion in Ireland is Catholicism. Catholics are not allowed birth control apparently. They are not allowed to "waste" sperm. They are not allowed sex before marriage. Apparently every sexual union is to be "blessed" with the "gift" of a child. They are not allowed contraception. THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED CONTRACEPTION! Should they be allowed to preach in Africa... a land with huge HIV and AIDS problems? Imagine telling people that "not having sex" is the best way to avoid disease. Yeah, good luck with that! We exist to have sex and create. We should have the right to choose whether we want to bear child to if we so desire. Another topic for another day perhaps. It's all relative in the end of the day.

So who does this law cover and represent? Hands up all those good Catholics who abstain from sex, and when they do not, produce a child. C'mon, seriously, lets see who Good Friday represents. How many church goers break at least 1 of these few regulations I have mentioned above? If it's even one, you are not a true catholic... Sorry!

So who is going to be covered by this blasphemy bullshit anyway? Is Ireland suddenly looking out for Muslims, Jews or any other religion? I don't think so. I recall an incident that a friend told me about when some catholitic converters called to her home and tried to convince her to join that ageing fossil of a religion. She told them she was not interested and that she belonged to another sect of Christianity. She even assured them that no other resident was interested and not to try, presumably out of good judge of character on her part. They became more "forceful" asking her "are you not interested in stopping the Muslims from taking over?" What kinda thing is that to suggest to somebody? I think it may be a bit blasphemous! Also, I thought religion was about God, not rivalry. I thought it was unity, not us vs them. I also thought it was about not abusing helpless kids and lying about it, but maybe my perspective is distorted. :P

I wonder. Are the police knocking on their door now to fine them for harassing someone of another religion? Are they being fined for blaspheming the good name of Mohammed or Allah? I somehow doubt it. But I would urge and free thinking realist to report such incidences in order to make good of this new blasphemy law. There cannot be double standards. Lets show them exactly why we have a right to protest free will and fear induced control in life.

And I don't know about you lot, but I have been enjoying a few drinks today. Not because I'm begrudging, but simply because I never agreed with the Catholic church. I left a few months ago and am now disconnected completely. These are oppressive, archaic, outdated and one-sided laws. It's not just about the drink, It's about the freedom to go to a public house when I choose and not when I'm forced. It's about being allowed to say what you want about who you want so long as it's constructive criticism and not forceful, misleading or oppressive to anyone... Including Muslims! I say they have as much right to convert anyone they like as much as Catholicism. And we have the right to say exactly why we don't want to. I hope you feel the same way.

Anyway, Happy Good Friday and may God bless us all! Allah Akhbar! Slán leat agus go raibh maith agat!

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment