Monday, April 12, 2010

Fashion or Friction?

Generally I don't care how I look while walking down the street or anywhere else for that matter. Pretty much every friend I have will tell you the same. I'm terrible rough looking at the best of times. That's just how I roll though. I'm not into façades or feminine hairstyles, tight clothes or even trendy fashion. It's all a bit contrived I think. Generally, if one has to try too hard to look good, you probably never will.... your awkward way of holding yourself will just reflect bad on your new wardrobe and make the whole thing look a bit unusual. But then, I'm not the fashionable type, so why listen to me, eh?

I had occasion to walk down the road the other night and was approached by two young girls. Admittedly, they were about 19 - 23 years old, which I guess is young when compared to my 29 years. But it wasn't their age that made them young, it was their attitudes. They were dressed in the manner that demands a red-blooded male's attention, but to be honest, all that stuff doesn't really interest me all that much. Certainly doesn't take pole position in the interesting stakes... but that doesn't make it completely unnecessary. Usually, It''s what's in a girl's brain or heart you find the best stuff. Their hobbies, interests and their attitude and personality. ANYWAY! I knew that neither had the values I appreciate after a brief little conversation with them. First of all, THEY approached ME, not the other way around. One of them asked continually for a "GO" of my glasses... the things I need to see and help me make my judgements on looks, red-blooded male, blah blah blah. The other one stood there and was cynical as fuck... but not in any constructive kind of way. She was really immature and shallow. Apparently hats, hair, ear rings and glasses don't suit guys. Apparently guys are what they look like and not what they say. All they need to be is shallow, rich and wear terrible fashion to be interesting. I tried to suggest this to her... not like she could hear me over the volume of her own ignorance anyway. Turns out, though my genitalia was interested in them, my mind nor heart was not. I honestly pity the guy she ends up with and he will probably pity her too when he's finished pulling his heart out of his arse.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing says: "Look what I'm going home to do" more than carrying a 9 pack of toilet paper out of the super market. This was just a passing thought like many more I jotted down today... the first time in a while that I've took out my notebook to make any kind of notes. I have to say, It feels good to be writing stuff again... just had a little personal obstacle to get over recently that put a wedge between me and what I enjoy. Anyway, here's the usual stuff, unabridged thankfully. I figured I needed guts to continue on, but then I discovered I was just distracted and the guts were there in all their glory waiting for me to notice their presence. And I say I'm not ignorant huh? Ignorance has many disguises apparently. See ideas, my ideas are always gonna be here. They'll be from my perspective with no need for editing or filtering by anyone else. I can't imagine what this would say if I let anyone near it. Suffice to say it would only suit that person and not me at all. Thanks for the kind words recently folks. helped me get back on track.

Honesty walks into a super market at 8 o'clock on Friday night and buys 8 cans of Guinness and a pack of toilet paper. Perhaps Guinness should go into a partnership with Andrex Toilet Paper? Or is that a partnershit??

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I figure there's a few things that make writing important to me... Some of which come to mind are the erosion of pride and conviction. Trying to be impartial but logical at the same time while being sensitive. That's quite a task if it's contrived at all. It was a mistake to ever consider that I could please everyone by what I write. But having said that, If I'm pleasant in person then that's half the job done, right? 40% is a pass in Irish examining standards, so by that rationale, if half of what I say in writing or orally fits the above criteria, then everyone's happy. But seeking to make everyone happy is a fruitless task. I guess if people are happy with who you are they'll stick right on by, if not then it wasn't meant to be...

As usual I didn't get to write about what I wanted to today but so it goes. I made quite a number of notes about this and that and wanted to have a good discussion about the kinda stuff that bops about my head on a Monday. I can't very well chat about my Monday on Tuesday, but then you never know what'll tie in the next story with my notes, ey?


Probably won't be toilet paper and Guinness, that's for sure...

No comments:

Post a Comment